French Department :
74 - Haute Savoie
listen this music's Brams to visit
The castle :
Duingt is a small city located at 12km in the South of Annecy and at 30km in the North-East of Albertville.
On the lake, near the road, a curious "building" is in front of me. What is it ?
Normally, it is a medieval castle on a island. This construction has 2 names :
- 1 - "Châteauvieux", (that mean Old Castle) because the lord had built a new castle a few years after.
- 2 - "Château Ruphy", name of the owner : Baron on 19th century.
To discover this construction, i was obliged to walk in a small path and i was surprise to see a beautiful castle. It seem to be small but around there are 3 curtains to protect the "house of lord". There are not height now, but imagine them 500 years ago.
Have you seen the big rounded keep with the crenelation ?
This castle is private. It is not possible to visit inside.
- At the 11th century, a fortification seems built on an island.
- About 1670, an old text attribute the castle with Marie-Jeanne Cambric, wife of the Duke of Savoy Charles-Emmanuel II.
- In 1839, the Baron Cypion Ruphy buys the castle. Very many modifications are carried out, giving the current aspect.
- In 1988, the site is registered in the Database of Historic buildings.
- At the 20th century, by marriage the family of Count of Certeau becomes the new owner.
- At the 21st century, it is impossible to visit the castle.
|To contents of department 74|